How to study physiology in MBBS 1st year & Neet-pg
As soon as we enter the medical college things suddenly turn upside down for most of us.
From the spoon-feeding in schools & coaching centres, we are now supposed to become somewhat independent.
We are launched into our professional lives. We face a lot of changes & struggles here but the key is to keep going.
One such struggle is how to study physiology for MBBS and Neet pg…it becomes really exhausting to figure out how to manage your academics while adapting with a lot of changes.
In this article, we will simplify the problems arising with physiology.
So why must one study Physiology?
It lies that Physiology is the core subject to understand human body. It gives us an understanding of normal body functions & life processes.
What is the need to study physiology in MBBS ?
What is the Importance of studying Physiology in MBBS ?
Physiology is important so as to enhance our understanding of medical studies & helps in better compliance.
Also most of us prefer our future careers as doctors only…so it also has a significant importance in studying for various Medical post graduation entrance exam preparation.
Physiology forms the base of all the clinical subjects & further clinical studies. So now the point comes how to study physiology in MBBS and Neet pg here we go –
How to study physiology
Physiology can be a subject of utmost interest if one knows how to study physiology effectively & nicely.
It involves various organ systems & their mechanisms of cooperative working so as to maintain homeostasis of the human body.
How to study physiology in MBBS
• Extensive Reading – Extensive book reading is the basic step to understand the subject better. Read the book thoroughly & underline or highlight the important topics.
• Make notes – While reading, one should prepare own notes so that it becomes easy to revise in exams.
Also notes are helpful for those who don’t like to read book again & again.
• Relate with practicality – While reading various physiological process try to relate with your own body. It becomes easier, familiar & interesting to read the subject then.
For example :: u can feel your muscles of respiration while breathing.. so feel your body’s physiology while u study.
• Solo study and better concentrating – One must study alone so as to concentrate on the subject. According to the time you have read the topic as much as you can & try to understand it first on your own.
Switch subjects if you feel exhausted but try to solve your doubts on your own at first.
• Group doubt sessions – After studying… U can have group doubt sessions with your comrades which will enhance better learning & understanding of your subject.
This is a very good step towards learning.
• Smart study – You don’t have to beat yourself upon physiology… Just 1-2 hours daily (consistency) is sufficient to score good marks as well as for concept building.
• Correlate practical and theoretical physiology – while studying cardiovascular system u can learn to examine the various blood pressure changes side by side.. practical application of theory just makes the subject a lot interesting.
It keeps u away from exhaustion.
• Also read – Otic ganglion anatomy, roots, function
Books to study physiology
As we are newbie to this syllabus..it becomes really cumbersome to look for the best book to study physiology.
So there’s no such best book thing in MBBS.
Before the selection of book…the purpose of reading matters.
Whether to clear your Proff exam or to build concepts or u want an informative book.
So accordingly following books are suggested –
A. Ganong’s physiology – It’s the standard book for physiology. It’s informative & values written for various processes are precise.
It’s a good book to read but definitely not recommended for exams.
B. Guyton’s physiology – It’s an awesome book for understanding concepts. The language is relatively easy but it’s also not recommended for exams.
Either prepare your notes in form of flow charts or read an exam bases book for proff exams.
C. A.k jain – It’s a nice exam based book. It consists of theory in form of flow charts, points & sub headings, making it an exam based book.
D. Sembulimgum – It’s completely exam based book with easiest language. U can complete your exam preparation in a week from this book even if you haven’t dedicated urself to studies for the whole year. But it’s data isn’t reliable.
these are the some best books to study physiology
Choose your book as per your preference.
Syllabus & smart way to study physiology
It involves all the organ systems & their functions.
While it becomes easy to read following systems together… following chapters should be read together to get the better understanding.
A. Group A – Read general physiology, nerve muscle physiology , nervous system & sensory system in line.
B. Group B – Read Blood & circulatory & respiratory system in line.
C. Group C – Read digestive & excretory system in line.
D. Group D – Reproduction system & other chapters.
How to study for physiology MBBS Professional exams?
• First follow all the directions under heading how to study physiology
1) Prefer your notes & underlined book over reading the whole chapters.
2) Study through diagrams & flow charts.
3) Instead of reading one topic very nicely…try to cover maximum topics so that if question comes out of the way…u know at least something to write about it.
4) Read important topics first.
How to attempt physiology MBBS Professional exams?
Nice presentation is the key
1) Draw margins.
2) Avoid paragraph writings
3) prefer flowcharts, diagrams, tables, differences & important star marks.
4) highlight headings & sub headings.
5)also draw a line at the end of questions. Prefer to begin new question from next page.
6) If u don’t know the answer to one question. Write anything related to it or about the process related to it. Don’t give up… Attempt every Question.
7) Manage time
8) Eat & sleep adequate before taking exam.
How to study physiology for Neet-pg –
when u are done with studying the basic MBBS pattern physiology…90% of the work is already done.
Most of us starts our Pg preparation in second or third Proff while u may begin it as per your choice.
So for pg preparation u may choose any coaching..
Prefer online coaching because offline coaching gets very hectic along with your regular MBBS programme.
U may either choose dams/ marrow/ prep ladder accordingly.
A) Marrow – question bank of marrow is amazing. If u are mostly done with concepts & require extensive question practice, marrow is your pick.
It provides u Pg entrance oriented video lectures too in case you have not studied the book thoroughly.
B) prep ladder – The video lectures of prep ladder somewhat accounts better teaching over marrow.
So if you have difficulty understanding concepts..prep ladder provides a relatively easier way to build concepts through its lectures. It also provides question banks.
C) DAMS – it’s a good programme for both question banks & video lectures. It also contains programmes for USMLE preparation.
So if u want to practice in foreign or want to study abroad.. dams is your pick.
So, this is all about How to study physiology in MBBS and Neet -pg
Useful links click here
Hope you find it useful