Everything about Paranasal sinuses
Everything about paranasal sinuses. The Paranasal sinuses are 4 pairs of air-filled openings found in the frontal parts of the human skull. It gets its names from the bones and areas around which they are located. An example of this would be the maxillary sinuses which are found underneath the eyes and on top of the maxilla jaws.
Each sinus has a mucus membrane that has got hairs in the linings. These hairs, known as the Cilia help to get rid of the allergens that enter the nose. The hairs do not stand-alone, but they are supported by secreting, epithelial and immunological cells.
Here is some quick information about allergens; they are foreign obstructions that enter the nose and cause inflammation. These can be seasonal or all year-round. Seasonal allergens include:
· grass allergies
Whereas all year-round allergens would be your:
· Pet dander
Untreated and over exposure to allergens can lead to sinusitis.
Everything about Paranasal sinuses
The Four Paranasal sinuses
As previously mentioned, Paranasal sinuses come in 4 pairs and they are named according to where they are located. Below is a list of the locations and names of the Paranasal sinuses.
· Maxillary Antrecchea commonly known as the maxillary sinuses are found in the maxilla jaw bones and just underneath the eyes. These are seen as the biggest of all the sinuses and as a result of their size, they are infected as compared to others.
· Frontal Sinuses are found in the bones that make up the solid parts of the forehead, many people would experience their sinus headaches here.
· Sphenoid sinuses, the name gives their location away, these are in the sphenoid bones which are at the middle part of the skull. Unlike the maxillary ones that are so large, these sinuses are tiny and therefore not easily infected and difficult to treat.
· Ethmoid sinuses are a group of discrete air cells that are located in the ethmoid bones found in-between the nose and eyes.
Purpose of the Paranasal sinuses
Like many parts of the human body, the main purpose behind having these is still unknown. Even so the Paranasal sinuses have shown the following purposes.
· They help reduce the initial weight of the frontal parts of the skull.
· They help with increasing of voice resonance
· The defence of the immune system is upheld through these.
· These keep the air we breathe humid and heated
· Protects the roots of the teeth and the eyes from sudden temperature changes
Difficulties Facing the Paranasal Sinuses
The paranasal sinuses are interlinked to the nose by Ostia’s. Allergens that enter the nose irritate the nasal lining and cause an interruptionwithin the natural voidance of mucous secretion. As a results of this disruption rubor is could also be developed, lasting up to 3 months if untreated
The following parts will cause pain and infections within the four Sinuses.
· Being exposed to harsh chemicals found within the production trade
· Having an infection as a result of HPV
· Excessively smoking cigarettes on a daily basis
· Being in the 40+ age group
These Sinus problems can be caused by many things, some natural and others artificial. It’s essential to take good care of your Sinuses and to remember that whatever you put in your sinuses will affect the future of it.
So this is Everything about Paranasal sinuses. When was the last time you had Paranasal sinus problems? Have you ever had a sinus infection? Share your story with us in the comment section below.
click here to know Are sinus infection contagious?
Click here to know 5 Best healing method for asthma